November 1, 2010

Shrimp & Wild Rice Casserole

Sunday Brunch -  Lobster Mac & Cheese, champagne cocktail & roses from our garden
This weekend was one of indulgent eating.  Some meals were planned and others not.  We have been so good lately; however an exhausting Friday lead to take out Chinese.  After a sleepless Friday night due to bad dreams triggered from the Chinese food I was too exhausted to roast sweet potatoes & work on a veal recipe Saturday night.  A spinach pizza from ole Father John's came to the rescue.  Sunday was going to be different - no giving in or coping out.  Husband was in NY and I was fixing my favorites that he won't eat! 65 minutes of tough cardio (while watching Halloween 2) started the day off right.  I enjoyed a brunch, pictured above, of Lobster Mac & Cheese & a pomegranate champagne cocktail. I finished the day the way I planned with my Shrimp & Wild Rice Casserole.  Nice to follow through with my actual intentions!  Hope you enjoy & Happy November!!!


Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole
6 oz box Long Grain Wild Rice
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 pound of shrimp, cooked & peeled
1 cup chopped onions
8 oz Crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Zatarans
1 tsp hot sauce
Pepper
3 Tablespoons Sherry
3/4 cup sour cream, I used light
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided

Cook rice according to box's directions, however cook in broth rather than water.  When rice has about 15 minutes left saute onions over medium high heat, add Worcestershire sauce, Zataran's, dash of pepper.  If onions get too dry add some cooking spray or butter.  After about 10 minutes add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of sherry.  Cook over medium high for 5 minutes and turn eye off.  Check rice - you want it to still have a little moisture & remove from heat.  Add butter to the mushrooms & onions, allow it to melt and cool.  Add rice to the mushrooms & onions, mix well, add Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese, and hot sauce.  Let it rest a bit (5 to 10 minutes).  Add shrimp, sour cream and remaining sherry - mix well.  At this point you can cover, refrigerate and bake later or put right in the oven.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees, add to an 8 x 8 baking dish and cook uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes (should be bubbly & cheese has melted).  Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.  Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and crusty bread .

2 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

As a young married couple, my husband traveled every week. I'm always interested in seeing what people eat when they're alone. As much as I love to cook, I don't do much of it just for myself.

I love the addition of the sherry in your casserole. Sherry adds such a 'je ne sais quois" don't you think? Often I reach for a touch of sherry when I think a dish needs a little something extra and I'm not exactly sure what it is.
Sam

Lara B Knight said...

Sam - isn't there just something about sherry and butter??? Everything they touch, they improve & together they are perfect. My husband use to travel around 75% of the year. Then I stopped cooking just for me. Now he only travels here and there & since he enjoys no seafood or mushrooms - I treat myself with these favorites.