February 4, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Talk about a room with a view! I just had to share - this is my husband's view of the amazing St. Patrick's Cathedral from his beautiful room at the Palace Hotel.  I am just the tiniest bit jealous (if you admit it then you don't have a problem, right?).  Back to cooking posts...  
 
It is funny how certain dishes stay in our memory.  This past Saturday my mother and I were discussing a certain restaurant which switched chefs about 2 years ago.  While the current chef is very talented, there are just certain staples from the previous chef we miss.  The previous chef had perfected soups for lunching ladies. All different varieties of delicate soups that truly accompanied a salad. The one we miss the most is his cauliflower soup.  This is my spin on the memory of his soup.  Hope you enjoy!

Roasted cauliflower, onions and garlic


Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Serves 6+

Roasted Cauliflower

2 heads of cauliflower
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
Salt, pepper and Olive oil

Soup
2 tablespoons of butter
5 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 cup fat free 1/2 & 1/2
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 sprigs thyme
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons of sherry
Sour cream , hot sauce & chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut cauliflower into florets.  In a shallow roasting pan add the cauliflower, onions and garlic & toss with drizzle of olive oil, salt & pepper.  Roast for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Once cool roughly chop with a spatula (very easy to do at this point).

In a stockpot melt the butter & everything but the flower & roasted cauliflower mix.  Bring to a boil slowly, stirring often & then whisk in the flour to thicken.  Remove from the heat and add the roasted cauliflower and sherry (if you are going to serve later - I would let it cool and refrigerate).  Bring it back to a low boil and serve with sour cream, hot sauce and chives.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This looks amazing! It looks like just a good warm comfort food! Can't wait to give it a shot!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

You're so right. Some chefs have a talent for soup and other, well not so much. We have two restaurants (one in NC and one in Fla) that no matter what's on the menu, we always order the soup first. Hope you save your husband some of your soup.

It is a lovely view of St. Patties, but it's way too cold up there on Fifth Avenue for me right now. Hope he brings you back some goodies from the fabulous stores along the avenue.
Sam

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Jealous of your husband's view of St. Patrick's???! You BET!! Absolutely gorgeous. *sigh* It's a great one for the memory bank though, even if I never get the pleasure of seeing it in person.

Lara, Thank you for sharing your recipe, this one looks fabulous! I am such a fan of good soups,
too.

Something similar happened to me many years ago --but worse than the chef leaving... the beloved place closed down after many years. (Despite our faithful support.) I missed their specialty soups so much that I made a list of my favorites and have gone on to recreate them myself.

Kudos to you for doing the same ~ I love roasted cauliflower, so I can just imagine how delicious this soup must be.

Thank you again for sharing. And thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice message. ~m

Lara B Knight said...

Thank you all for your kind words!